Why Liam is the Absolute Best

Why Liam is the Absolute Best
by Edie
October 25, 2019
Warning: Spoilers!

Love Interest Rating: ★★★★★ (5/5 stars)

I want to introduce you all to the Wide-Awake Princess series by E.D. Baker. The series is about Annie, a princess who is ‘cursed’ by a fairy to be unaffected by magic. Annie is neglected by her family, who all have magical gifts, because being around her makes them less pretty and talented. So Annie hangs out with the peasant children and the castle guards. Annie’s older sister, Gwendolyn, is the most beautiful princess in the world and cursed to be pricked by a spinning wheel and fall into a deep sleep that will only end when her true love kisses her. When Gwendolyn is actually pricked on her 16th birthday, the entire castle falls asleep, except for Annie. She sneaks out of the castle to find Gwendolyn’s true love before the kingdom is taken over. 
Outside, Annie is travelling through some woods when she sees Liam, a guard at the palace, and they travel around together to try to find princes for Gwendolyn. Eventually, after some run-ins with witches (the antagonists of the series), they find out that the enchanted Prince Beldegard is Gwendolyn’s true love, and the second book starts with Annie having to go break the spell on Prince Beldegard. 
Liam is Annie’s love interest, and I think that he’s the best possible love interest. Liam is introduced in the 4th paragraph of the first chapter, which shows how important he is. He’s cute, has nice hair, is smart, and is good at tracking. He’s the perfect person to go on an adventure with: he has all the necessary skills, has connections, is levelheaded and quick to come up with ideas, and can fight people. 
Liam is also really nice. Whenever someone says that Annie isn’t as beautiful as her sister, or just not beautiful at all, Liam defends her by saying something cute like, “but she’s not ugly. She’s actually very pretty.”
It also eventually turns out that Liam is a prince (so that’s a good sign), but he isn’t conceited or annoying. Unlike most princes, the only spell on Liam is for good teeth, so his good looks are all natural, and he isn’t scared to be close to Annie. Liam has a “quick smile” that Annie thinks makes him “instantly likeable” and unsymmetrical dimples. Annie thinks his imperfections are the exact things that make him so handsome (again, good sign!). 
Liam is perfect mainly because he’s human. Liam makes mistakes, and gets angry, and has flaws, but he apologizes, tries to make it up, and becomes better. For example, early in the first book Liam accidentally mistakes a kelpie for a real horse and is almost drowned before Annie saves him. Liam gets really mad at himself afterwards, which is realistic, but after that he becomes more careful. 
Liam is super cute, nice, and supportive, and the perfect love interest. I love him and I hope he stays amazing forever. 

Comments

  1. I really like this review because it shows how much you love the book. I think it is good that you went into so much detail about the characters because it helps me imagine what the book would be like, based on the different characters' personalities. It sounds like a really interesting book with a unique turn on a classic fairy tale. I may try to read it soon. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a good review! I liked how much detail you went into about the characters -- it gave me a sense of what the book would be like. The books sound like an interesting read! Also, I like how you gave spoilers, as it helps the reader understand why Liam is the best love interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love how your review goes so in-depth with the characters of this book. Judging from your assessment of Liam alone, it seems like the author put a lot of detail into developing each character in the book. Most reviews take a much wider approach and review the book as a whole, but I like how you dove deeper with your analysis and gave specific examples of what you liked about the book's love interest. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was delightful and hilarious to read. Thank you so much for doing this. I completely agree with you and I am so glad you went out of your way to point of the amazing characteristics of Liam from one of my (and I know many other's) favorites when we were younger. This post gave me a nice opportunity to take a fresh breath of the light and a break from all the dark YA fantasy and stuff that I have been reading or reading about. I was able to reminisce about my other childhood favorites and the characters I loved. Good job with the analyzation of one character instead of doing the easier, overall story review. I might as well read the series again while I'm at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review was definitely entertaining to read. You did a good job making this review fun and descriptive to read. I like how you gave many examples to support why you like Liam so much. I also think the fact you still enjoy these books even when they were books you read as a child, shows they are timeless. I have the first book so I could read it. From reading this I can tell you are really passionate about the books which makes them more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great review and was fun to read. Not only did you explain why Liam is a great person, but you also said why he is the perfect love interest for Annie. You gave several examples to support your claim that he is a perfect love interest. If I was 8 years old again, I would definitely read this series, and I might even read it now if I owned any of the books. Overall, great review, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts