Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and Why It Disappointed Me


Image result for harry potter and the cursed child

By Gus Miller
Warning: This review may contain spoilers.              
           Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is supposed to be a sequel to the first seven Harry Potter books. The story takes place 19 years after the end of the seventh book in the main series, and follows Harry Potter’s son, Albus, as he begins attending school at Hogwarts. I personally disliked this addition the series, and I definitely thought the main series was much better. I will explain why below.
           From the moment Albus boards the Hogwarts Express, it is obvious that he is very different from his father and older brother, James (who happens to be very similar to Harry). He and his friend, Rose, expect that they’ll have a lot of friends, because Albus is the son of the famous Harry Potter. However, Albus ends up befriending a lonely boy named Scorpius, who everyone knows is the son of one of a supporter of Voldemort, Draco Malfoy, who was also one of Harry’s rivals when he went to Hogwarts. Rose disapproves of Albus’s friend choice and leaves him. When Albus arrives at Hogwarts, something happens that makes him even more different that his father: he and Scorpius are sorted into Slytherin.
               During their first few years at Hogwarts, Albus and Scorpius are very unpopular and have bad grades. However, during their fourth year, they discover an artifact that allows a person to travel through time. They also meet a woman named Delphi, who claims that she is the cousin of Cedric Diggory, a boy who was murdered back when Harry attended Hogwarts. The trio sneaks into the Ministry of Magic, steals the Time-Turner, and travels back in time. However, they are not successful in rescuing Cedric and instead screw up the past and create a future full of darkness.
After Albus and Scorpius finally fix everything, Delphi reveals her true self, claiming herself as Voldemort’s daughter, and kidnaps the boys, taking them back in time. However, Albus wittingly sends a clue to his father, who realizes where Albus is. Harry and his friends use a spare Time-Turner to find Albus and Scorpius and save them from Delphi. In the end, of course, everything is good and normal again.
               My initial reaction to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was that it was a disappointment. I was expecting it to be just as good as the seven books in the original Harry Potter series, although that was a very high expectation to meet. However, because my expectations were so high, the book seemed like such a letdown compared to the rest of the series. One of the things I disliked was that the story was very predictable in many instances. For example, from the moment Albus met Delphi, I knew there was something sketchy about her, and that it was unlikely that she was actually related to Cedric Diggory. I also knew that using the Time-Turner would result in many negative consequences for Albus’s time, so I was quite upset when Albus and Scorpius used it almost without a second thought.
               Another thing that I disliked was that there was no climax to the story. I kept waiting for the moment in which all seemed lost, but that moment never came. I noticed that it was surprisingly easy for Harry to overthrow Delphi, given she was the daughter of Voldemort. The ending of the story also seems too good to be true, with almost nothing negative happening.
               Overall, I thought Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was decent, but unrealistic. I thought it felt completely different from the rest of the Harry Potter books. If you’re curious as to what happens after Harry defeats Voldemort, you might want to check this book out, but if you want a book with a good plot, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is not what you’re looking for.

Comments

  1. I appreciate your spoiler warning for the few who never read or finished the Harry Potter series (aka me, I stopped reading after The Goblet of Fire). Although I believe I only read halfway through The Cursed Child, I realize now after reading your review that was probably a good decision. Your opinion, however, may have also been attributed to the fact that The Cursed Child was meant as a screenplay, and the overall effect of the plot may be more interesting on stage. Overall, your feelings on the negative aspects of The Cursed Child were well written and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read The Cursed Child when it came out, and I agree that it was a little bit of a disappointment, especially considering how popular the Harry Potter books were. The ending was cliché, but it might have been more enjoyable if it was performed as a screenplay. Overall, this was a well-written and thought-out review, and it is helpful to anyone who might be considering whether or not to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your opinion on this book is very similar to mine when I first read it. I definitely agree that this sequel had a different mood and feel than the rest of the series, and to me, it seemed like the book had lost the "magic touch" of the Harry Potter books. The plot was just not on par with the original 7 books, and it marred my enjoyment of the real series, knowing that the peace that is found at the end of the original series is short-lived. Your similar thoughts about this book were communicated clearly and in depth, without making it tedious to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also read the whole series and I also finished the book with the thought of, "Why did J.K. Rowling have to write another totally unrelated book to add to the perfect series??". For me, this book felt cliche and like a fan fiction story. You had good points to support your opinion of this book, and I am glad you also warned the audience about the spoilers. However, while this book wasn't great, I loved Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. So if you haven't read it, hopefully it makes you happier about Rowling's more recent works. (It's also written as a script, but I personally like it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! This book has annoyed me for a long time (especially Delphi- I had so many problems with her character (especially the whole Voldemort's daughter thing)). You brought up points I hadn't thought of before, like how different this book feels to the rest of Harry Potter, but now that I'm thinking about it I totally agree. You did a good job explaining the book and your thoughts on it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not fully read the original Harry Potter series, but I really liked the first four books. They are some of my favorite books of all time. From your review, the last books seems bad, and I am surprised that JK Rowling didn't put a climax to the book, when the best parts of the Harry Potter books I read were from the climax at the end. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree with you about 'The Cursed Child' being disappointing. When I read the original 'Harry Potter' series, I loved them. This mad my expectations, like yours, very high for the new sequel. However, I was just as upset as you were about the book. I agree that the book seemed both very predictable and questionable. I hope that if they decide to make another sequel, it will be better than this one. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really agree with you- I don't particularly love harry potter as much as the next person, but this book was incredibly disappointing. I remember a lot of people being really excited when this came out- then you read it and it was just dull. Like you said- there's no climax and everything seems wayyy to easy for the characters. I would not recommend this book- there really was no purpose of making a sequel to a finished book series when the sequel is terrible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts