BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS



Book Recommendations from my bookshelf

A post by Jeana To


I’m back with another blog post, and seeing how we’re all stuck inside with the coronavirus this time I decided to do a mini bookshelf tour!
I have managed to accumulate some books over the years, but haven’t really looked at them for a while. Especially with the pandemic and being stuck at him, I thought that this was the perfect opportunity for me to look through my books. To keep it from getting too long, I tried to stick with one-sentence summaries. Well then, let’s get started! 
(side note: I omitted books that I haven’t read yet or don’t remember, and replaced mid-series books with the first book of the series)

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
A completely normal (hah) girl named Ruby gets superpowers along with a bunch of other kids, and the government (who’s afraid of them) force them into rehabilitation camps, so Ruby goes on a super-long truck ride (ugh, don’t ask) and decides to fight back.
(Yes, this is the one that was made into a movie, haven’t watched it myself but I searched it up, it’s only 16% on Rotten Tomatoes so… ¯\_()_/¯ )

Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
Super badass female pirate captain searching for treasure with a dash (or many dashes) of romance and comedy, here we come! (it’s really good. Read it. No, this is not a threat)

Scythe by Neil Shusterman
In this utopia where humanity has conquered death, two teens are chosen to be Scythes, whose job is to kill.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (warning: looong) (like srsly I thought it was over at 3 but then a 4th book came out and the books just kept getting longer and longer) (don't worry though the series is only 4 books long)
Silvers’ silver blood grants them societal status and godlike powers and Reds’ red blood grants them nothing, but when Mare, a Red, suddenly manifests a supernatural ability, her identity is covered up and she is taken to the palace by the Silvers to hide the blasphemous fact that a Red can have powers. (will Mare be able to survive the harsh environment of the Silver court while hiding her true identity? Read to find out!)

The Traitor’s Game and Wrath of the Storm by Jennifer A. Nielson JUST READ JENNIFER A NIELSEN IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY
Jennifer A. Nielsen is so. So. SOO. GOOOOOD. Here ya go: https://jennielsen.com/all-books

Wintersong by S. Jae Joong 
Liesl’s belief in the existence of the Goblin King has slowly faded along with her childhood as the reality of her family’s poor situation snatches at her with its cruel branches, but when Liesl’s sister is taken away by the mysterious Goblin King, she has no choice but to enter the underworld to try and save her sister. (so beautiful :’) as someone else said, this story is like a mix of Hades and Persephones and Caraval)

Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johanson
Okay yeah I know I said I wouldn’t include books that I didn’t remember the plot but I just remember how good this book was and I’m planning to reread it so you guys should give it a try!!

Vero Rising (The Ether #1) by Laurice Elehwany Molinari
The desire to fly is something that Vero Leland struggled with in his childhood, but little did he know what this seemingly innocent childhood desire meant -- Vero is a guardian angel, and he is faced with a difficult choice, for to accept his destiny as an angel means leaving everything he knew and loved behind. Meanwhile, evil forces are beginning to stir...

The 5 Wave by Rick Yancey
Cassie is one of the last human survivors after a series of 4 alien attacks that have driven humanity to near extinction, but the fifth wave is yet to come, and little does Cassie know, her greatest enemy may not be the aliens, but something much closer to home…   

Uglies
In a world where everyone is made to be beautiful once they come of age, there lies the question: is the price of beauty truly worth it?

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A chilling dystopian Ray Bradbury classic about a fireman whose job is not to put out fires, but to start them.

Blue Willow by Doris Gates
The Great Depression has hit America hard, so when Janey Larkin’s mother becomes sick and the rent-collector begins to come after her family, Janey must sacrifice her most prized possession for the sake of her family. (one-word summaries are hard...this one really hits deep even though it’s a children’s book.)

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A very, very long book listing the adventures of perhaps the most famous fictional detective Sherlock Holmes from the perspective of his assistant Watson.


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this post! I've been in need of a few book recommendations, and I appreciate that you were brief and straight to the point with each of your recommendations to make room for the vast quantity of them. I will be sure to check out at least on of these books in the near future. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I will definitely be checking out some of these books soon! I like how each review is concise and still manages to convey the main idea of the book. I have been looking for some book recommendations and your post was the perfect fit. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Some of these titles and summaries caught my eye and I will definitely be looking into them as soon as possible. Your summaries were brief and straight to the point which made it easy for me to realize what the book was about. Thank you for this list of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving so many book recommendations! I've read a few of the books you listed but most I haven't. I like the way you gave short, easy-to-read summaries of each book while giving a little bit of your own opinion. I'm currently on the waitlist on the digital library for The Traitor's Game so I hope to read that soon. Once again, thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really fun, informative post! You did an amazing job of constructing summaries that are short, but still informative and attention catching. I’m excited to try some of these out, since the only one I’ve read so far is Fahrenheit 451 and a few Sherlock Holmes stories, and they all look really interesting! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts